Monday, January 21, 2013

Letter to the Police Commissioner Mumbai


Attn. Mr Satyapal Singh

Dear Mr Singh

It must have been around 7:45 pm today when I left my Worli office for home. At several traffic signals, anxious cops  furiously beckoning me and others standing by at the red traffic signal to jump it, not leaving me to wonder why, but certainly leaving me appalled and irritated at their insulting demeanor.

Then at BKC main road, finally your convoy overtook me from the wrong side, jumped several red lights, ahead of me, in- fact nudged me to jump too, by intimidating me with deafening hooter that they use.

My belief is, you would have jumped about 4 stop signals.

I followed your convoy, and found them at the American Centre. I spoke to Inspector Narkhude, who was evasive, and that is understandable, and guessed, you may have been in hurry to get to the function.

I must admit, he handling me quite adeptly, as mostly the manner the police behaves reeks of the Kotwal of Mughal Empire. He assuaged me quite well, else I would have demanded to meet with you then and there.

I called 100 to lodge the complaint against your car. On learning from me, it was your car, they directed me to speak to inspector traffic at 022 2493 7746, where I spoke to a constable who admonished me for my audacity of daring to complain against the police commissioner and it was only when I told him, I had a picture of your car, and was also recording my conversation with him, that he brought Inspector Kharate on the line, who checked on the wireless, and confirmed that it was your car at the American Center. He suggested that I lodge a complain at the Vakola police station where when I went the inspector in-charge Pardesi informed me, it was the BKC police station jurisdiction, and not his. This is usual story. Confused about jurisdiction. I don’t know when this will end.

To cut a long story short I would like to know : 

  1. What was the need to jump so many stop signals?
  2. Which rule entitles you for such privilege, as that is what I understood from all the cops that I spoke with?
  3.  Do you believe you will stop this practice or you are in your right and would continue to do this?
  4.  Where and how I can file a complaint against you and what action will you assure me? Will like to stand up and endeavor to change this stupid culture?
  5. Why you should not be challaned and made to pay the fine just like I would be?

For the record, my car has not been damaged, nor I have   been physically hurt. Our system is so used to such misplaced VIPism, that most will wonder what then my grievance is about. But I only hope, being an IPS- an educated elite, you would understand better.

I also understand, ambulances and cop cars and other emergency vehicles have right of way and traffic. I too would swerve to let them have that right. But I am sure you will not hide behind such niceties and surely that is not a plausible explanation in your case.

I remember an uncle of my who was SP Allahabad, would always jump red lights, as else my ice cream that he treated me to daily, would melt. But that was 40 years ago when I was 4. He then rose to become the Director IB. I only hope, you did not have a similar sense of urgency – a melting ice cream at the American Centre party and also hope you being a new generation are not slave to such feudal mentality.

I expect a reply failing which I will resort to all remedies available to me to ensure such practices are abandoned and such VIPism eschewed or at least bridled. I am also familiar with the usual practices that administration resorts to thwart and frustrate and sometimes even intimidate people like me, and I am ready to make that journey.
  
Thanking you in advance for your understanding and eagerly waiting to hear from you.

Yours truthfully
VK SINGH



No comments:

Post a Comment