Saturday, August 25, 2012

Drive Decently Mr MLA........


Today, an Innova HR 26 AY 0585 overtook me very rashly from the wrong side, while I was enroute Pathways school, to ferry my kids back home.

I like to give my boys a ride whenever I can to and from school, as that is one time that I get to spend with them. I also enjoy the chatter that they exchange about their time at school. It takes me back to my school days, when my brother and I would be doing the same.

Coming to todays episode, firstly, it is a narrow and winding road to Pathways, as it goes up the Aravalis and due to rain damage and water logging, it becomes further constricted. Overtaking therefore is completely contraindicated.

This Innova paced on to my side, almost scraping my car and tried to either intimidate me with its screaming hooter or merely tried to declare a VIP’s primary right to traffic.

I don’t have a problem if politicians don a beacon even on their heads why only on cars and a hooter on their hind-quarters and strut around noisily. But when their strutting around compromises my safety or nudges or jostles me, or displaces me from my place of priority which I have earned, I will react.

And I did react. I did not have a hooter to match my adversaries’ but I honked like a maniac, till he heeded and stopped. On closer questioning of the driver on the mis-demeanor, it turned out to be a car of a Haryana MLA.

This is one of the perils of democracy or should I say one of its ailments. Such goon like politicians are thrown up by a purely democratic process. So as much as they are to blame for manipulating the system to go up, so is the electorate responsible for anointing them to their own long term detriment.

But curiously, besides the sticker of MLA, the car also had a sticker saying authorized for Red Light till 31/12/2012. I wonder if this was genuine.

As common people, we must resist such behavior, as not resisting will reinforce it. Why should I bother attitude will make this country even more unlivable than what it is today. But just a word of caution, today, political patronage sometimes conveys to its beneficiaries a sense of immunity. Whipping out a gun on the flimsiest grounds and killing innocents is a matter of pride for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment